The Friends of the Winona Public Library value, support, and champion the public library. The purpose of this organization is to:
- Maintain an association of persons interested in libraries
- Focus public attention on the Winona Public Library
- Stimulate the use of the library’s resources and services
- Receive and encourage gifts, endowments and bequests to the library
- Support and cooperate with the library in developing library services and facilities for the community
- Support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association Bill of Rights
- Volunteer for Ongoing Events: Concert in the Park (held in June, sponsored by WNB Financial), the End of Summer Block Party (held in August) and Give to the Max Day (second Thursday in November).
The next scheduled meeting of the Friends will be on Saturday, August 15, 2020, 9:30-10:30 AM to be held via Zoom. Members will receive a link to the meeting in their email. Non-members will have to register for a link by 3 PM the day before here: Zoom meeting.
Monthly meetings are usually held on the third Saturday of each month from 9:30 – 10:30 AM usually in the Bell Art Room of the library.
All Friends and potential Friends are welcome to attend.
The Annual Meeting was held on Thursday, April 23, 2020 via Zoom.
The following announcements were shared:
- WNB Financial is donating $1,000 to the Friends in lieu of the Concert in the Park being canceled.
- Imagination Library is an initiative of the Dolly Parton Foundation. It is a book gifting program that mails free books to children from birth to age five in participating communities. In order for a community to participate, a local sponsor has to agree to partner with the foundation. Emily Tipton of our board is leading the local program, and she has just within the last month secured funding through various donors, especially the Donna Helble Literacy Fund, to begin enrolling children in Winona County. Link: Winona Community Foundation Announcement
Raising Hell: The Restoration of the Masonic Drops, a Film by Mary Farrell
at the Friends Annual Meeting was held on Thursday, April 23rd, 6-7:30 PM.
The Friends of the Winona Public Library conducted a short meeting and elections via email to the membership. The Annual Meeting was conducted via Zoom (registration required for non-members) and featured Mary Farrell's documentary, Raising Hell: The Restoration of the Masonic Drops. After the film, Kim Lawler discussed the process behind restoring the drops.
The historic Winona Masonic Theatre was home to a collection of 98 hand-painted scenic drops dating back to the early 1900s and used by the Winona Masons for their Scottish Rite initiation ceremonies. Due to water damage and safety concerns, the City of Winona decided to remove the drops from the rigging system and encapsulate them in 2017 and store them temporarily. The city council later approved a plan to save 13 of the drops, including a scene from Hades. Kim Lawler, a professional scenery painter, was hired to restore the drops in 2018 and filmmaker Mary Farrell documented the unique restoration process.
Meeting Minutes are posted after formal approval.
April 2020 (Annual meeting, no monthly meeting minutes)
March 2020 (no meeting)
February 15, 2020
January 28, 2020
Friends President's Annual Report
Friends Brochure and Membership Form
Online Friends Membership Registration Form
(In accordance with the Friends of the Winona Public Library Bylaws, all memberships are due in January.)
Friends Membership Perks
- Fine Waiver Card - This card can be used once on any fine from $0.10 to $5.00.
- $5 Book Sale Shelf Certificate - This card gets you up to $5 of items from the book sale shelf in the library.