Computers and Technology
We offer free public internet access on 14 computers in Adult Services and two in Youth Services.
Use of all library computers is subject to compliance with our Internet Usage Policy.
Printouts from public internet computers cost $0.10 each for black & white, color printouts are $0.50 each.
A photocopy machine is located on the second floor. Costs vary for black and white or color copies, and are as follows:
• 8 ½ x 11 (letter) or 8 ½ x 14 (legal) copies: black & white – $0.10; color – $0.50 each
• 11 x 17 (ledger) copies: black & white – $0.20; color – $1.00 each
Wireless internet access is available throughout the building. To connect to the network:
• Open the list of available wireless networks and select "Winona Public Library."
• Click to connect to the network and enter the password: winonapl.
• A browser window should appear where you need to accept the library's wireless internet policy. If it does not, open a web browser and attempt a search. The policy should then load within the browser window.
Please note: The library cannot guarantee that your equipment will work with the library network.
Can your device “see” the network?
If not, make sure your device’s wireless is turned on and that you are trying to connect to the network named "Winona Public Library."
Have you opened a browser?
You need to get the Internet Use Policy page to load in a browser and select “I Agree” to fully connect to the library’s wireless network.
Are you having trouble getting the Internet Use Policy page to load?
If you've connected to the network and opened a browser, but the Internet Use Policy is not loading, then try navigating to https://www.winona.lib.mn.us. This will often kick-start the Internet Use Policy page to load.
Have you tried all of the above but are still having trouble connecting?
If you have tried the above steps and are still having problems, then try disconnecting from the network and restarting your device. This often solves connection issues.
Print from your laptop or mobile device.
• Email your print job as an attachment to the printer at email@example.com.
• You will receive a confirmation email in return that contains release codes for the body of your email and attachments.
• At the copier, select Print Cloud from the menu.
• Enter the release code and select your print settings.
• Pay for the printouts at the Reference Desk or Checkout Desk.
Black & White: $0.10 per page
Color: $0.50 per page
Supported file types: pdf, html, standard text file formats, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, image files such as PNG, JPEG, TIFF, GIF, BMP
Two microfilm readers are available for public use. One is a digital reader equipped with OCR software.
The Winona Daily News, formerly the Winona Republican Herald, is available on microfilm from July 19, 1860, to the present, as are some census records.
A fax machine is available for public use. The cost is $1.75 for the first page and $1.00 for subsequent pages. Payment by debit or credit card only.
The library has one energy usage meter available for loan. Plug in any 120-volt appliance into the meter and it will display how much electricity it consumes. The meter can be used to help you figure out your electrical expense by day, week, month or year and learn which appliances are costing you the most.
Reference and Information
Materials that the Winona Public Library does not own can often be borrowed from other libraries at no charge. Librarians at the Reference Desk on the 2nd floor of the library can locate and request these items for you. Items can be obtained from libraries within the SELCO region or the State of Minnesota via MNLink.
The library offers exam proctoring during regular business hours. Students need to make arrangements with the Reference Department at least two business days prior to the exam.
Students are responsible for any fees incurred during the exam. This may include postage, envelopes, copies, and faxing. Scanning is optimal as it is free.
Please read our full Proctoring Policy prior to scheduling your appointment.
To schedule an appointment, please fill out our online proctoring request form.