MONTH OF JANUARY
The WWI: Lessons and Legacies Exhibit examines how the Great War accelerated major changes already underway in the lives of Americans—changes that continue to impact our world today. Eight posters along with thought-provoking questions will take you back into the time of the Great War.
Along with the exhibit, our book discussion group will be reading The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. The novel takes place in 1916 France where young Sophie's husband Edouard leaves to fight at the front. We will meet to discuss the book on Thursday, January 2nd at 2PM in the library's Bell Art Room.
Scot Simpson, a Winona County Historical Society Volunteer Historian, will present "The War to End All Wars... or Not: A Brief Overview of the First World War" on Thursday, January 16th at 6 PM in the Bell Art Room. Simpson will discuss the Great War and the implications after the war.
Monday, January 6th, through Friday, March 6th, 2019
Starting January 6th, read five (5) books and enter into a drawing for various Grand Prizes. You will also receive a free coffee mug, while supplies last. You may enter as many reading logs as you like into the drawing for Grand Prizes. The Winter Reading Program will run until March 6th.
How it Works:
1. Must be 18 or older to participate and have an active Winona Public Library Card.
3. You may only count books towards the program if they are from the library or the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) System. (OverDrive eBooks & audiobooks count.)
4. After you return your first reading log to the Reference Desk, you will receive a free library coffee mug.
5. Your slip(s) will go into a drawing for several different grand prizes.
(Turn in slips to the Reference Desk.)
6. You may re-enter the drawing multiple times but only qualify for one coffee mug.
7. You cannot count books that you finished before the program.
8. You may count books that were started before the program but did not finish until after the program began.
9. For every reading log you return, review one of the books on your list and you will receive an extra entry into the grand prize drawing. Pick up a book review form at the Reference Desk or print your own: Shelf Talker Form.
- $10 Gift Card to A&W Restaurant (2)
- Car Wash Card loaded with two Premium Car Washes ($20 value) to Dahl Automotive
- $5 Gift Card to Ground Round (4)
- $25 Gift Card to HyVee
- $5 Gift Card to Kwik Trip (4), Free Karuba Gold (Hot or Iced) and Smoothie, Lemonade, Frappe, or Cold Brew (15)
- McDonald’s Prize Pack: Free Breakfast Sandwich, McCafe Beverage, Large Sandwich, Small Fries, & Premium Salad (3)
- $50 Gift Card to Midtown Foods
- $25 Gift Certificate to Sullivan's Supper Club
- $10 Gift Card to Target
- Minnesota Vikings Memorabilia from WinCraft
- $20 Gift Card to Yarnology
Thank you, Sponsors!
Saturday, January 25th from 10 AM - 1 PM
The Friends of the Winona Public Library are hosting a Winter Mini Book Sale in the library's Bell Art Room on Saturday, January 25th from 10 AM - 1 PM.
You’ll find fiction items, nonfiction, children’s books, DVDs, Audiobooks, and Music CDs. Prices are:
- Hardcover books are $1.00 each
- Paperback books are $0.50 each or three for a $1.00
Media items (DVDs/Music CDs) are $2.00 each or three for $5.00
Media sets (Television Seasons/Audiobooks) are $5.00 each
Children's books are $1.00 an inch.
February 6th and April 2nd from 5-7 PM
Head on down to the library and play some board games with us. There will be board games on hand or bring your own. Snacks and beverages provided.
Thursday, February 13th from 6-8 PM
Bring your gal pals and celebrate Galentine’s Day at Winona Public Library on Wednesday, February 13th from 6-8 PM. The evening will include crafts, a photo booth, and health, beauty, and other vendors. Food and beverages will also be available at the event. The event is free and open to the public. If you are interested in being a vendor, go to https://tinyurl.com/
What is Galentine’s Day?
Galentine’s Day originated when the television show, Parks and Recreation, aired the episode “Galentine’s Day.” The episode is all about ladies celebrating ladies and getting together with the gals for a relaxing night of fun. Ever since the episode aired, Galentine’s Day has become a national sensation. The unofficial date of Galentine’s Day is February 13th.
Friday, February 7th at 11 AM
Frozen Friday is back at the Winona Public Library with a free showing of "The Economics of Happiness". Globalization and localization and the benefits and challenges those bring will be discussed following the film.
Friday, March 6th at 2 PM
The Tuvan Throat Sing Group, Alash, will be performing at the Winona Public Library on Friday, March 6th at 2 PM.
Alash is a group of three talented young musicians from Tuva who bring their fascinating music and culture to delighted audiences worldwide. In addition to traditional Tuvan musical training, they have all received classical Western musical training. Their music is infused with subtle Western influences and yet remains true to its Tuvan heritage. Alash has a passion for educating future generations and for deepening the understanding between cultures. The musicians are Bady-Dorzhu Ondar, Ayan-ool Sam, and Ayan Shirizhik.
Enjoy an evening in the library after-hours with a few games of Capture the Flag where you get zapped out instead of tagged out. The entire 2nd and 3rd floor are your playing field. Particiapnts must be 18 years or older.
Friday, January 24th, 5:45 - 7 PM , this event is FULL, please add your name to the WAIT LIST.
Friday, March 20th, 5:45 - 7 PM
Friday, May 15th, 5:45 - 7 PM