Sphero BOLT is an educational robot ball designed for ages 8 and up. The robot works in conjunction with the free Sphero Edu app, where you can drive the robot, create programs, and even write your own code.
We’re excited to offer Sphero BOLT kits for checkout at Winona Public Library! Here’s what you’ll find in each kit:
♦ A quick-start guide
♦ A Sphero BOLT robot
♦ A charging cradle and USB charging cord — USB wall adapter not included
♦ A protractor
♦ A silicone sleeve for the robot
Are you interested in checking out a BOLT kit? Fill out this request form, and we will contact you. Checkout time is four weeks, with no renewals allowed. Limit one kit per household.
These kits are available as part of Tecreation @ WPL, a new makerspace program made possible with funding from a grant from the Minnesota Department of Education using federal funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Library Services and Technology Act [LS 00-20-0024-20].
We are looking forward to hosting in-person Tecreation programs in the future, and we’re committed to bringing these experiences to youth across Winona. Stay tuned!
About Sphero Edu
- For more information about using Sphero BOLT at home, check out Sphero’s At-Home Guide.
- You can find examples of coding activities on the Sphero Edu website, or by downloading the Sphero Edu app on your device. There are activities for a wide range of skill levels, so if you’re at all interested, go ahead and request a kit!
- Check your device’s compatibility with Sphero Edu before requesting. The robot type is Sphero Bolt 2018.
Robot care tips
If you check out a kit, you are responsible for any lost or damaged parts. The robot is designed for use by kids, but be nice to it! Here are some dos and don’ts:
- Take care of the robot for the next person. Don’t throw, drop, or kick the robot, and don’t try to take the robot apart.
- Keep the robot in sight when you are using it. We don’t want it to get lost or damaged.
- Use the robot indoors only. It works best on surfaces that are mostly smooth and flat. If you’re using it on a shiny floor, you may want to use the silicone sleeve so the robot can get traction.
- If the robot gets dirty, wipe it clean with soapy water. Do not use harsh chemicals on the robot.
- When you are finished charging the robot, take it off the charger. Disconnect the charger when you are not using it.
- If the robot breaks, contact the library right away. Call Youth Services at 507-452-4592.